EYERIES 5MILE ROAD RACE 11TH NOVEMBER 2017 …by Pat Twomey
Thirteen hardy Eagles made the journey to Eyeries for their annual 5mile road race which took place in that most picturesque and colourful village located on the Beara peninsula.
While the weather wasn’t the best nothing could detract from the enthusiasm of the local community who had come out in their droves to run and support this event which is organised so brilliantly by fellow Eagle Mark Gallagher and his very able support crew. One member of this support crew is another Eagle Kevin Sievewright who kindly provided us first-timers with some words of wisdom in our approach to the race – ‘don’t get carried away and keep something in reserve for mile three to four’ – wise words indeed!
The race starts about a half mile up the hill from the village and as it finishes in the village then the course should be considered a net downhill one – in theory! Following a fast start down the hill and through the village the race then turns northwards and begins to climb steadily until mile two when it descends rapidly for the following mile. From mile three on the really difficult climbing begins and just when you think that the worst must be over another hill appears to challenge you and to force you to dig even deeper and then another and another. Onwards and upwards until you reach four and a half miles and then it’s a fast finish into the village and the cheering locals who have come out to support the runners. Young and old runners take part in what must be the most picturesque and scenery laden race in Ireland, if not the world.
The spread after the race in the community hall was only the best and the two local pubs (O’Sheas and Causkeys) together with the local Bistro (Rhonwen’s) made sure that the athletes and their supporters were well hydrated and fuelled up before their journey home.
The Runners World has a list of the 20 races you should do before you die and for me I believe the Eyeries 5mile road race should be included on this list.
To paraphrase the ‘Knocknagoshel Banner’: Arise the Eyeries 5 miler and take your place among the road races of the world!
EAGLE AC RUNNERS
5. Dermot Slyne M40 Eagle AC 31.39 (2nd M40)
6. Vincent O’Sullivan M Eagle AC 32.05
8. Colin O’Herlihy M 45 Eagle AC 32.50 (1st M45)
11. Jerome McCarthy M Eagle AC 34.02
12. Maura O’Regan F35 Eagle AC 34.21 (1st female)
14. Denis Carroll M55 Eagle AC 34.56 (1st M55)
27. Elaine Guinane F40 Eagle AC 37.35 (1st F40)
29. Pat Twomey M50 Eagle AC 37.59 (2nd M50)
31. Eddie Trindle M40 Eagle AC 38.06
32. Maeve Cotter F35 Eagle AC 38.16 (2nd F35)
43. Niamh Lehane F 40 Eagle AC 40.07 (2nd F40)
44. Tony Merritt M50 Eagle AC 40.28
50. Ed Fitzgerald M45 Eagle AC 41.22